Re: New attempt to kill "whois"

2005-08-23 08:40:34
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 12:50:24AM +0200,
 Frank Ellermann <nobody(_at_)xyzzy(_dot_)claranet(_dot_)de> wrote
 a message of 44 lines which said:

Okay, ball in play again, after killing RfC 954 forcing "us" to use
1032 they now intend to kill RfC 1032,

Killing RFC 954 was the right thing to do because RFC 954 made a
cardinal mistake: it specified a protocol (useful, widely in use, now
specified in RFC 3912), *and* a policy. THIS IS NOT IETF
BUSINESS. IETF should not specify policy, wether for TLDs or for
anyone else, only policies for its own internal processes.

therefore I try to stay up to date with efforts like the expired
draft-sanz, or whois-servers.net, or the persistent attempts to
destroy simple Internet infrastructure like "whois" in favour of
complex solutions.

Nobody suggested to kill the whois protocol, just the badly written
and obsolete RFCs which were requiring violations of various european
laws regarding privacy. Neither ICANN or IETF should specify privacy
policy for a ccTLD.

(And I prefer the whois protocol to IRIS but this is a technical issue
while killing RFC 954 was a political one, and a right one.)