Re: New attempt to kill "whois"

2005-08-24 01:30:07
On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 05:35:23PM -0400,
 Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld(_at_)sun(_dot_)com> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

I believe Frank's concern is that he wants the ability to refuse
services to sites who have not published accurate contact
information through whois.

Very bad idea, IMHO. But it's true that, if you refuse email from
".com" domains, you have much less spam :-)

If a ccTLD were to, for instance, refuse to publish any contact
information (even if the registrant *wanted* it published) this
makes his life difficult.

The vast majority of the ccTLD in the world have no whois server
(check the "whois server" field in the IANA whois) and often not
publication of contact information at all. But this is irrelevant: how
many times did you see Nigerian scams coming from the ".ng" domain?

I'd hope that European privacy laws would be flexible enough to
allow for voluntary publication of contact information by TLD
operators.

Certainly.