Re: New attempt to kill "whois"

2005-08-23 16:40:56
At 23:35 23/08/2005, Bill Sommerfeld wrote:
On Tue, 2005-08-23 at 11:38, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> Nobody suggested to kill the whois protocol, just the badly written
> and obsolete RFCs which were requiring violations of various european
> laws regarding privacy. Neither ICANN or IETF should specify privacy
> policy for a ccTLD.

I believe Frank's concern is that he wants the ability to refuse
services to sites who have not published accurate contact information
through whois.  If a ccTLD were to, for instance,  refuse to publish any
contact information (even if the registrant *wanted* it published) this
makes his life difficult.

I'd hope that European privacy laws would be flexible enough to allow
for voluntary publication of contact information by TLD operators.

Dear Bill,
voluntary publication of information has an extremely flexible and powerfull tool at its disposition. It is named the web.

As a ccTLD Registry we do _not_ publish any information. For three reasons:
- this is the best way to be sure we respect privacy laws everywhere.
- we do not have the budget.
- we do not see the need.

Should a registrant want to publish his data, we are not opposed if he pays the cost. Such a whois service's cost would not be to deliver one registrant's data, but to receive requests for all the non documented registrants and the DoS.
jfc