New attempt to kill "whois"

2005-08-22 17:23:16
Okay, ball in play again, after killing RfC 954 forcing
"us" to use 1032 they now intend to kill RfC 1032, see
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-sanz-rfc1032-historic-00

Andy Newton is the author of several IETF CRISP drafts,
that is the cross-registry-information-service-protocol
replacing "whois" for the purposes of registries, e.g.
http://ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-crisp-iris-lwz-04

Marcos Sanz (with Gerhard Winkler) was the author of
http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/test/draft-sanz-whois-srv-01.txt
He's also working for DENIC, and probably he does not like
the de.whois.rfc-ignorant.org entry.

In theory I could dispute this entry after DENIC added the
"?" function to whois.denic.de, but that's beside the point,
and IIRC I did this some months ago on the RFCI list.

I'm interested in public available whois servers to find
relevant addreses for abuse reports in my "rxwhois" client
<http://purl.net/xyzzy/src/rxwhois.cmd> - therefore I try
to stay up to date with efforts like the expired draft-sanz,
or whois-servers.net, or the persistent attempts to destroy
simple Internet infrastructure like "whois" in favour of
complex solutions.

If "we" (TINW) lose 1032 after 954 the last resort is the
shaky ground of 1591, claiming that it's the base for some
ICANN rules.  Even if that "works" it would kill the RFCI
whois zone for most ccTLDs, we'd end up with the TLDs also
covered by ICANN's WDPRS plus a few special cases like gov,
mil, us, e164.arpa, etc.

Good news, apparently RfC 1032 is referenced in 1034, 1035,
1031, 2052, 2053, 2065, 3074, 1123, 1480, 1464, 1401, 1386,
1348, and 1183.  Most of these RfCs referencing 1032 might
be obsolete / informational / experimental /  irrelevant,
but at least 1034, 1035, and 1123 are important.  So this
attempt to get rid of 1032 might run into difficulties.

Difficulty number one:  I set a Cc: to the IETF list, bye

http://lists.megacity.org/pipermail/rfci-discuss/2004-October/002989.html