Re: delegating (portions of) ietf list disciplinary process

2005-09-28 07:29:02
On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 05:15:05PM +0200, Brian E Carpenter allegedly wrote:
I'm interested to know whether people would see arguments for
either or both of

1. An IETF Ombudsman (or Ombudscommittee), to act as a dispute
mediator.

Good idea.  These disputes take a lot of care and interested parties
are often not willing or able to put the time into them that they
need.  "Discussion" can get abrupt and counterproductive.  Even the
very existence of an ombudsman will ensure that parties approach a
dispute more carefully.

2. An IETF "netiquette" committee, to offload list banning procedures
from the IESG.

I don't think so.  I prefer that this responsibility stay with a few
individuals, so that it is taken very seriously -- not only by them
but by everyone.  A committee would lead to dilution of responsibility
as well as endless discussion on every dispute.

swb