RE: [dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com: Mismanagement of the DNSOP list]

2005-09-27 02:38:35
Bert,

David asked the IESG to consider a PR-action ("posting rights" action)
against Dean.  Posting rights actions are governed by RFC 3683.

I agree that 3683 is used to apply drastic measures, but unfortunately those
are the measures the AD saw as appropriate for Dean's supposed infractions.
Even the RFC refers to applicable cases as "serious situations", but again
it was the AD who thought it fair to levy the harshest sentence at our
disposal against Dean.  It's judgment calls like that which make everything
circumspect to me.

nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Wijnen, Bert (Bert) [mailto:bwijnen(_at_)lucent(_dot_)com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2005 2:01 AM
To: Steven M. Bellovin; dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net
Cc: nick(_dot_)staff(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net; 'IESG'; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: RE: [dean(_at_)av8(_dot_)com: Mismanagement of the DNSOP list]

Steve writes:

Actually, 3683 specifically requires community discussion
of motions
to block someone's posting rights.  It is, in so many
words, done by a
Last Call.

Steve, I thought that RFC3683 is intended to apply "drastic measures"
(see intro, page 4).
RFC2418 allows a WG chair and the ADs to also take measures
if someone is disrupting WG progress (sect 3.2).

I certainly hope that we do not have to have the equivalent
of an "IETF Last Call" everytime that a WG chair or AD finds
that an individual is disrupting normal WG process.

Bert