Re: Petition to the IESG for a PR-action against Jefsey Morfin posted

2005-09-30 07:03:28

--On fredag, september 30, 2005 14:36:39 +0200 Julien(_dot_)Maisonneuve(_at_)alcatel(_dot_)com wrote:

Harald,
Just out of curiosity : is there a symmetrical way to oppose a petition
like this one ? Or can arguments only be one-sided ?
I think such a petition page should contain several choices : approve,
disapprove, don't care,...

Sure there is - create your own page, write your petition text, and ask people to sign up there. I'll even share the PHP code with you if you want it!

I have taken on the role of arguing *for* banning Jefsey from the IETF. I'm not neutral in any way, shape or form. It's the IESG's business to say whether or not the requirements of the RFC are fulfiled.

The way it is done on the page is heavily slanted towards approval of the
ban, and offers no way to oppose it. This is understandable because it is
partial, but partiality should not have a say when gathering opinions
that may ultimately result in collective action.

The IESG decides based on evidence presented to it. One of the pieces of evidence is that the people (10 so far) who have signed the petition believe that Jefsey Morfin is being "abusive of the consensus-driven process" (that's a quote from RFC 3683). Others may want to present other relevant evidence.

I'm acting as advocate in this case. I'm not the jury.

                      Harald

PS: I recommend reading both RFC 3683 and a selection of Jefsey's messages before making up your mind about the case....