Re: Petition to the IESG for a PR-action against Jefsey Morfin posted

2005-09-30 12:25:06
On 9/30/05 3:07 PM, "Michael Thomas" <mat(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:
what about:

- killfile the person and encourage others to do the same?

Unfortunately that no longer works all that well on Usenet,
either.  The participant pool grows to the point where there's
always somebody new, or somebody who thinks that the problem
person has a point and who wants to discuss it, or someone
who thinks the problem person doesn't have a point but has
some ill-defined right to be heard, and so on.  Additionally,
there has to be some process for identifying problem persons.
That can work well in some small, close-knit online
communities where there's a very large set of shared values,
but it doesn't work all that well here.

Also, note that the IETF intends to make decisions by a
modified consensus process and that process is actually
pretty fragile.  It's reasonable to provide mechanisms to
protect the process, and I think it's a lot healthier if
those mechanisms are transparent and as objective as might
be possible under the circumstances.

Mind you, I just freakin' hate this.  But I don't think the
process itself as described in 3683 is at all unreasonable.

Melinda