Re: Petition to the IESG for a PR-action [....]

2005-09-30 10:43:12
Julien(_dot_)Maisonneuve(_at_)alcatel(_dot_)com wrote:

(this should not go on ietf(_at_)ietf, but for lack of a better
list... please disregard if it bothers you)

[...]

Banning should be exceptional.

So far 3683 was never used (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Now we are presented with two dubious (read non obvious,
possibly requiring very careful inspection to arrive
to a conclusion) cases in the space of a few days

Very different at the moment:  Only an AD can start (or
prepare to start) a "PR action".  That might be what we've
seen in the first case.

This second case is still at the "convince an AD to support
to start a PR action" stage.  It's a private petition of
Harald (he's affected as listmom of the tag review list, so
unlike most others he's not free to use his killfile there).

it appears that the process itself is hardly symmetrical
and lacks clear consensus safeguards.

That would come later in the "last call".  At the moment the
second case is a private list of signatures, same idea as e.g.
<http://old.openspf.org/cgi-bin/openspf_pledge.cgi> - but of
course the signatures of several (former) IETF Chairs, ADs,
WG co-Chairs, Unicode Chair, TAO author, etc. might impress
the poor active AD(s) who finally get(s) this list...

In a balanced world, this would spell doom for RFC3683.

...so far it's like an unpublished I-D.  If you don't agree
with it you could ignore it until the potential "last call".

                         Bye, Frank