Re: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

2005-10-06 21:50:03
Harald Tveit Alvestrand writes:

I think that Marshall Rose described the current way people handle
irritating people well back in 2003 (POISED list, April 8):

  people who have a high tolerance to pain, ignore it, those who
  have a lower tolerance to pain implement a local solution, and
  those with less of a tolerance have simply left the mailing
  lists.

The logical consequence of the "nobody should be banned" position is that
this is the way we want the IETF to be.

Sounds good to me.  The intolerant thus exclude themselves
voluntarily, and the tolerant remain to engage in discussion.

Some people will leave if we make that decision.

Is there a prize for having the highest possible membership numbers?

I think that these people leaving will make the IETF less able to carry out
its mission.

How?  People who cannot tolerate disagreement are very poor at
discussing most things, anyway, since they become upset as soon as
anyone expresses an opinion different from their own.  And if one
cannot express differences in opinion, one cannot discuss.

The next step is in the hand of the IESG.

If it decides against you, what will you try next?