RE: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

2005-10-07 13:35:41
Anthony,

        I disagree with your statement: "Most people will resort
to personal attacks very rapidly and readily once someone else
disagrees with them."  At least in the current context.  I feel
that this is an overly harsh charaterization of people generally
and people in the current forum in particular.

        Most "communicating" people will usually resort to trying
to understand from whence the disagreement stems. In many cases,
disagreement arises from the lack of shared knowledge. This can
be fixed by simply sharing knowledge.  Unfortunately, that may
result in long-winded messages.

        When this is not the case, then disagreement may come from
a lack of common terminology, or it may come from differences in
motivation and goals.

        There is _nothing_ that rapidly descending to the level of
personal attacks does to help resolve any of the probable causes
for disagreement. Consequently, I sincerely hope that most adult
professionals would not do so.

--
Eric Gray