RE: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

2005-10-07 13:21:39
David,

        I disagree that we can determine "overly insistent" by a
simple counting of postings, but I do agree that it is usually
not hard to determine when someone is being overly persistent.
It's just possible that the threshold might be higher for some
than it is for others.

        You may be over-simplifying slightly, in terms of "overly
personal" postings.  At either end of the spectrum, it is easy
to distinguish things as you suggest.  In the grey area toward
the middle, it is not as easy.

        For example: if I make a statement, and someone replies
in a way that indicates - to me - that they did not understand
what I was saying, then it _should_ be perfectly reasonable for
me to say that they may be missing the point I was trying to
make. This is simply how communication works.  If time or other
considerations make me terse, or I am not especially gifted in
the area of tact, then I might say "you do not understand me."

        It only starts to become personal if I speculate, clearly
imply - or, much worse, explicitly state - that they "missed my
point" is a direct result of physical, emotional, psychological,
educational or temperamental impairments that they possess.

        To one person, the mere fact that another person disgrees
with them is conclusive proof that they don't understand.  To
another person, the mere statement that they don't understand
clearly implies some impairment.

        It's possible that both of these people might be taking
things a lot more personally than either of them should.

--
Eric