Re: On PR-actions, signatures and debate

2005-10-08 08:56:54

On 7 okt 2005, at 17.56, Anthony G. Atkielski wrote:

It's just possible that the threshold might be higher for some
than it is for others.

So which threshold is the "right" threshold?

I think that the offense has to be so egregious that invoking such draconian rules is truly a rough consensus - i.e. with very few dissenting voices and for the dissenting voices to be such that their dissent is not well thought out. and while full consensus is rarely possible, it should be as close to full consensus as possible.

the IETF of late seems to me to be moving ever closer to a top dominated group where a few voices have control of all decisions and where very little disagreement, especially strong disagreement, is allowed. i think this is a bad trend. to allow for easy suppression of dissent, which always sounds strident to those in power (whether they happen to be in office or not), is, in my opinion a mistake and contributes to that trend. it leads to a behavior mandate of 'be careful of what you say and who you disagree with for it may come back to bite you'. and since there is no real appeal mechanism, except for the very brave, for those who feel abused by the system, the suppression of dissent becomes even more alarming.