Re: from the horse's mouth

2005-10-29 13:25:58

On 29 okt 2005, at 15.40, Harald Tveit Alvestrand wrote:

Amorality among scientists, engineers, and technologists has gotten the world into a lot of trouble. I prefer to think about the consequences
of what I do.

I think we all do, and I think it's one of the reasons why I felt Jefsey's accusations of provinciality and blinkeredness to be deeply insulting as well as incoherent.

I am not sure what he did other then send 2 pointers to articles. Don't quite understand how this might be insulting.

I do think there are two interesting questions:

- is the IETF community interested in discussions about the social implications of the technology we develop

- is the IETF general list the right place for those discussions.

I for one am interested in the topic and think it is important for any tehcnological group to take a view of its social responsibility. But i am not sure that this list is the right place - though I don't mind since I can skip threads that don't interest (or bother) me, but experience shows that not everyone is able to do so. and to some people the topic is irrelevant.

So perhaps an ISOC list, or a specific IETF social issues list would be better. At least on such a list everyone would be participating willingly.

a.