Re: from the horse's mouth

2005-10-31 19:46:21
At 19:50 31/10/2005, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
But what doesn't help us get on with our work here is discursive decision of vaguely defined societal or cultural implications. That's what I was getting at.

Dear Brian,
full agreement. Describing this way the key societal matters at hand certainly shows the IETF is not interested/competent and does not intend to invest in them. However the IETF takes leading decisions meant to influence or constrain SSDO having interest, competence and responsbility. I suggest we reread RFC 3935's principles of competence and of responsibility.

There may be/are societal implications of the IAB architecture and of the IETF technology. The ISTF has been created in parallel to IETF, IAB, IRTF to discuss them and advise the IAB and the IETF. I submit we must join forces in reviving the ISTF and the ISSG and that the ISSG MUST (a) produce a position or an abstain before an RFC or a Charter is approved by the IESG, (b) be part of the appeal chain.

I think the RFC 3066 bis controversy would have be settled for a long should the ISSG have reviewed the WG-ltru Charter, published internet multilingual support requirements, or required an inclusive rather than a exclusive language tagging during the IESG LC.

jfc