Re: from the horse's mouth

2005-10-31 10:25:31
Mr. Chair,

2005/10/29, Brian E Carpenter <brc(_at_)zurich(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com>:
Eduardo Mendez wrote:
I understand why IETF fears local governments for their meetings.

I simply do not understand this statement. The IETF has no
concerns about governments, and we often have people in government
service who attend our meetings.  They are as welcome as any other
engineer.

The discussion is about chosing countries.
The proposition is that ITEF can discuss free.
There is a problem only if IETF fears some Governments.

What IETF discuss may hurt thir people, peace, culture.
 > But I am sure IETF Member do not realize this?
 > If they were told they would understand.

What people do with technology may have good or bad effects.
That is well understood by all technologists, I think.
But this is not the place to discus the social impact
of our technology.

What IETF decides, decides for the users.
Impact is after a decision.
Can result from technical choices. OK.
Can result from disguised political choices.
This should not be possible.
How to make sure?

Why not to invite local people free?

Because our meetings are working meetings of engineers.
Local people can contribute just like anybody else, but
then they have to pay their fair share of our costs.

I did not pay for ICANN meetings.
If you want local people be interested do like ICANN.
Otherwise why to move around? Tourism?
IETF is technical.

Why not to coordinate with local ISOC Chapters?

Local ISOC members are as welcome to attend the IETF
as anyone else. To my knowledge, ISOC France organized
an evening activity during the Paris IETF, for example.

For everyone!?

Many say they want to know
- the weather,
- the security,
- the governement,
- the rates,
- the visas,
- the liberty,
- the local network,
- a good hotel
- etc.

I am sure that ISOC could help.

IETF is to be part of the real world.

I think it has been exactly that for almost 20 years.

This is not what I want to say.
I want to say: one is always better with local help and friends.
Good meeting in Vancouver.

Eduardo Mendez