RE: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-07 21:20:47

From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On
Behalf Of Anthony G. Atkielski
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 10:02 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary
formats at ietf.org

Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:

It has been the publisher's perogative, not the authors.

They have usually worked together.

Hardly a millenia long tradition then..

Today, the author may do all the work, in which case he has
complete control.

The past ten years represent the anomaly in this regard,
not the norm.

More correctly, they represent a new norm.

A bad one, empower the reader.

The point of communication is to get your point across to the READER.

If you want to dictate the presentation to them then you are making a
big mistake.

So the tactic of the author deciding the final presentation was a
non-starter.

In that case, plain text will do.

There is no such thing. As the RFC corpus demonstrates people want
headers, footers, page numbers.

Add those to 'plain text' and you have text that assumes a particular
output format.

How do I ensure that my Adobe document creation software will be
compatible with the reader's Adobe document reading software?

It's not a question of compatibility, it's a question of
setting the right option.  In other words, it's just a matter
of reading the manual.

Nope, it's a question of getting the programmer to take remedial lessons
in usability.

Programers who use the manual as an excuse for bugs should be fired.