Re: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-07 20:04:55
Hallam-Baker, Phillip writes:

It has been the publisher's perogative, not the authors.

They have usually worked together.

Today, the author may do all the work, in which case he has complete
control.

The past ten years represent the anomaly in this regard,
not the norm.

More correctly, they represent a new norm.

If you compare LaTeX to more recent document processing mechanisms
you can see how Knuth and Lampson very deliberately set out to
automate the existing typesetting process and styles, not replace
them with ad-hoc DIY jobs.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say with this.

So the tactic of the author deciding the final presentation was a
non-starter.

In that case, plain text will do.

And how pray is the user at either end meant to ensure that
is the case?

It's a simple option in most programs that generate PDF.  I use
embedded subsets in all my PDF documents, and there's never a problem
with fonts, because they are in the documents.

How do I ensure that my Adobe document creation software will be
compatible with the reader's Adobe document reading software?

It's not a question of compatibility, it's a question of setting the
right option.  In other words, it's just a matter of reading the
manual.

Answer: I should never need to bother.

If you're deciding the format of your document, you need to bother,
just like the typesetters who came before you.