Re: draft-hutzler-spamops-05.txt

2005-11-14 09:39:53

...for recipients within the Common Operating Group (COG)* of the
receiving MTA.

Oh yeah.  I forgot to add the footnote to explain the term:

* COG:

A Common Operating Group (COG) is a collection of Internet Mail service
components subject to unified administrative operations control. These can
be any combination of user agents, submission agents, relays and delivery agents. Assorted processing of mail might be done in different components within a COG, as convenient for that environment. (For example, DKIM message signing or validating, may be done in an MUA, MSA, or MTA within the COG. It is an important choice for admin and ops of the mechanism, but not for the semantics.)

Although it does not have a protocol impact, COG is probably similar to the
IP-level concept of Autonomous System, in that it defines policy boundaries. I suspect it also relates to a "tussle" boundary.

I have been searching for a term that characterizes this organizing
construct, and haven't found one that people like.  Last week, it was
suggested I try an acronym, so COG is a first attempt.

Anyone would does not like it is encouraged to suggest one that other folks
will like better.

d/

--

Dave Crocker