RE: I-D file formats and internationalization

2005-11-30 11:49:30
Ole Jacobsen writes...

This is a good point. It even applies to the IETF secretariat. It used
be impossible to register with your "real name" if it contained
non-ASCII
characters. I think that has changed, I recall having Seen Olafur
Gudmundson's badge with the real Icelandic "curly d" (or whatever it
is
called in English) at a recent meeting. I have not seen Japanese or
Chinese or Korean, which I guess would be the next logical step...

While this is a bit of a digression, the purpose of IETF badges is (at
least) two-fold.  First, to show that the bearer has paid the
registration fee, and second, to allow other attendees to address the
bearer by name during sessions and informal conversations.  If badges
were in non-Latin character sets, it would make it difficult for me to
address the bearer in English.

It seems that there are parallels for RFCs and I-Ds. If the official
language of these documents is English, then should we have portions of
those documents represented in other languages, and more at issue, other
character sets?  In the attributions sections, one could, of course,
provide a Latin character set representation in addition to the native
national character set, for names, addresses, etc.