Re: A plug for XXE (Re: Alternative formats for IDs)

2006-01-15 10:49:06

--On 13. januar 2006 22:40 -0800 Joe Touch <touch(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU> wrote:

I haven't used it for "production" yet, but it looks wonderful - not
WYSIWYG, but WYSIPU - What You See Is Pretty Useful.

Pretty useful compared to text-editing the source code, yes. Compared to
WYSIWYG, still primitive, unfortunately.

If the goal is to allow the output - i.e., the RFC - to be useful for
data mining, why not allow the XML tags to be used *just* for the
portions that we expect to extract (i.e., for the data to be mined), and
let WYSIWYG editors format the rest of the document structure.

I.e., let each tool be used where it works?

FWIW - I hate WYSIWYG with a passion.
I *never* want to consider pages, fonts, indentation, section numbers or justification when I'm typing. I want to get the text in there, mark clearly where the sections are, make my lists as lists, and *get the text written*.

Then I want to get it readable with minimal effort - and be able to change it later *without* having to guess at the difference between a section heading and a line that just happens to start with a number.

Semantic markup works for me - for the *whole* document.

But YMMV.