Re: A plug for XXE (Re: Alternative formats for IDs)

2006-01-15 12:05:19

Elwyn Davies wrote:
Seconded.

I *have* used it for a production run and whilst it is not perfect it
makes document creation and editing significantly easier than typing
'raw' xml even into a syntax-aware text editor.

It is also very helpful for proof reading and commenting (spell checker
provided).

And the standard version is free.. and supported on Windows, Linux and Mac.

I used to use the Word template but the freedom from hassle of
generating the final documents

I'm not sure what freedom this means; XML still needs to run through a
script, just as Word does.

the ease of generating references

Commercial software allows BIBTEX references to be imported into
citation databases, so this is moot as well.

makes
xxe/xml2rfc
and support of complex numbered lists (almost impossible to achieve in
Word)

I checked your three current I-Ds and five RFCs, and the most complex
numbering I saw was "G1, G2, ...", "P1, P2...", and paragraphs numbered
"G.1:, G.2:...". Word has been able to handle all of these since the
late 1980's. Was there a more complex example I missed, or one in a
pending document that hasn't been issued that you could give as an example?

Joe