Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-12 17:23:46

Are you suggesting that the IETF adopt the xml2rfc source as the
normative version of a specification, rather than the .txt (or .pdf)
version?

yes.

as I understand your current operation, the *real* normative version is in
nroff.

i believe that an incremental process of switching to xml2rfc -- with easy access to that source version for follow-on editing -- would be a considerable improvement over the status quo.

> Who is volunteering to maintain xml2rfc and guarantee backwards
> compatibility for the next 20 years?  (And why should
> we believe them?)

Maintaining xml2rfc is going to far less fragile than maintaining nroff. Nroff has no current industry penetration. XML has quite a lot.

(Both are textual encodings, so that the fall-back position of reverting to pure text is probably equally painful.)

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking