Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-13 14:14:05
(clipped down to)

Maybe we're attacking that part of it the wrong way.
What is it that makes those "cosmetic" changes, to "get the format
just right", so important?  Do we really care whether there's an
extra blank line, or the indentation is one character too much?

Well, yes, we do.  At least, the RFC Editor cares, and we believe
you should care too.  Blank lines are not just randomly inserted...
they are put in to enhance readability

When you say that you make cosmetic changes beyond what's been done
with xml2rfc, and agreed to by those who've reviewed it, I presume
you're making stylistic changes that the RFC editor cares about that
"we" didn't (if we did, we'd have already made those changes).  I'm
wonder what sorts of things those are, and whether they're really worth
all the extra overhead.

... and whether it would be good if the working group had been reviewing a more-readable version of the document, and had forwarded a more-readable version for last call and IESG review...

Given that the RFC Editor has published more documents than I've written in my life, I don't question what's being done. I'm just asking if it might be done automatically, and be done earlier in the process.

I'm guessing these are changes that the RFC Editor has been feeding to the XML2RFC authors via Bill Fenner in http://rtg.ietf.org/Members/BillFenner/rfced-xml/FrontPage/issuetracker, and that we're moving closer to "fire and forget" XML2RFC operation, so maybe all is well, or at least improving?

Spencer