Re: Alternative formats for IDs

2006-01-13 14:04:52

Maybe we're attacking that part of it the wrong way.
What is it that makes those "cosmetic" changes, to "get the format
just right", so important?  Do we really care whether there's an
extra blank line, or the indentation is one character too much?

Well, yes, we do.

Bob, the question is not whether it is good to have a standard format, design for easy readability.

The question how much it is worth ensuring that all the spacing is always and exactly correct. How much is it worth in time/delay and how much is it worth in dollars?

And specifically, how bad would it be to spend far less -- bordering on nothing -- and get "pretty close" to that desired format?

For a community built upon the construct of efficient use of scarce resources, we do an impressively good job of ignoring that construct in our own operation.

d/

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking