how to declare consensus when someone ignores consensus

2006-01-22 14:34:00
I am growing tired of this meta-discussion, but I just needed to add my 2
cents, then I'll be quiet.

As someone who really wants to get work done, I find it very hard to get the
work done when someone posts seemingly random comments, or at least is using
argumentation that doesn't seem to have any other support in the working group.
 I cannot say if this is what Jefsey is doing, as I am not active in any of the
WGs in question.

What I do know, is that from time to time, on most working groups, someone pops
in and derails forward progress. In my mind, we do need a mechanism to prevent
this from happening.  Perfection is the enemy of the good in many, many cases.
We are the Internet 'Engineering' Task Force, we don't promise that we are
always right - that's why we have three levels of standards.

People who suggest ignoring or hitting delete don't seem to really get it - as
a working chair, I need to continually try to maintain forward motion on
technical issues, sometimes someone shows up with what seems like an axe to
grind or is trolling for attention.  I think we need mechanisms to be able to
divert people who continuously disrespect rough consensus from continuing to
disrupt the on-going work.

The IETF doesn't have a strangle-hold on the Internet - there are other
standardization bodies out there, and noone is preventing people from going out
and designing their own solutions, outside of the IETF.  Look at various
peer-to-peer protocols as a good examples of things that people use everyday,
but wouldn't stand a chance of getting an RFC.

John