Re: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

2006-02-12 17:47:47

Actually, my bigger concern is privacy. I like to decouple the identity I use on different web sites....

Reflecting on the various postings, so far, here is what seems likely to happen at the BOF:

1. We will get some presentations, explaining things that we should have read before coming to the BOF.

2. Audience participation will immediately bog down about a) related work, b) intended goals, and c) security risks.

Worse, all of those concerns are entirely relevant.

And that's why they need to be discussed *before* there is a BOF. The amount of time in a BOF does not permit real discussion, of the type called for, here.

Given the particular nature, complexity, and controversy surrounding the topic of online identities, the second BOF will, at best, be only marginally more productive.

Unless and until there is ability to have deliberated discussion on the mailing list, among a broad spectrum of the IETF community, to refine the draft charter and reach a reasonable degree of rough consensus about its scope and deliverables and -- not incidentally -- its purpose, this seemed destined for getting stuck spinning its wheels during any BOF.

d/

ps. I happen to the the general topic of online identities is rich with opportunities to be productive and I am carefully offering no comment about the current proposal. My immediate concern is that we know better than to conduct this sort of BOF in this sort of manner.

--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking