Re: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

2006-02-13 09:31:28

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006, Dave Crocker wrote:

Sorry. I missed the ietf-wide announcement of that list, made long enough ago to permit extended online discussion, as a lead-in to this BOF, to ensure consideration from a wide variety of perspectives.

It might not meet your requirements for an ietf-wide announcement, but the announcement of the list and its topic was sent to the IETF list on 19 October 2005, with extended followup discussion. That discussion questioned how aggressive BoF-initiators should be in recruiting participants ...

 - RL "Bob"

---

Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:28:05 +0200
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <harald(_at_)alvestrand(_dot_)no>
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Spam in the IETF's name?

Found this one in my spam folder, and it made me wonder.....

1) On first read (use of term "IETF mailing list", use of term "we" without qualification), this sounds like an IETF-sanctioned activity. Is it?
If not, who does John Merrels speak on behalf of?

2) Even if it is, is mass-like mailing (rather than sending to the IETF list, the IETF-announce list, or one-on-one personal mails) a reasonable way to recruit people?

                    Harald