RE: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

2006-02-13 05:33:52
-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net]
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:14 PM
To: Hollenbeck, Scott
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; Ted Hardie
Subject: Re: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

  My immediate concern is that we know
better than to conduct
this sort of BOF in this sort of manner.

What sort of manner is that, Dave?  That's a serious
question.  There is
an open mailing list on which discussion has been taking
place since the
Vancouver meeting.

Sorry.  I missed the ietf-wide announcement of that list,
made long enough ago
to permit extended online discussion, as a lead-in to this
BOF, to ensure
consideration from a wide variety of perspectives.

That discussion would permit the BOF to take place with
enough community history
to make it possible to have a productive BOF.  (I thought I
covered that concern
in my previous note.)

Anyhow, please point me at the announcement, since the mere
existence of a list
that few know about does not mean much.  (Based on the list
archive, and the
comments emerging now, I am not the only one who missed that
announcement.)

I ask a serious question and I get a sarcastic reply.  That's a great
way to have a productive conversation.

The proponents of this BOF are following the community's documented
procedures [1].  What I'm hearing is that there is a underlying problem
with the adequacy of those procedures.  Maybe it would be more
productive to update the procedures to include different guidance on
just how far in advance people should be sending public announcements
and where those announcements should be sent.

The public announcement, sent Friday 10 February:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg40478.html

List described in a follow-up:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg40481.html

Yes, I do understand that these are the messages that you are claiming
should have been sent earlier.  We're just going to have to disagree
about that.

By the way, the IESG has started talking about the idea of automatically
sending public announcements when new mailing lists like this one are
created.  That would be a good step forward.

-Scott-

[1]
http://www.ietf.org/ietf/1bof-procedures.txt

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2418.txt