RE: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

2006-02-13 18:10:46
Steven,

        There's a certain (very much non-zero) cost associated with
announcing _anything_ very widely.  Generally it means the person
making the announcement has to subscribe to the list (and hope the
list manager does not filter the announcement anyway) - in part so
that it will actually get posted and in part to capture comments
made on each list that do not also get posted to an appropriate
list (no matter what the announcement says, this will happen).  In
addition, there have been complaints in the past to the general
use of cross-posting, and some list managers may even be actively
filtering (for moderation in any case) on the basis of these prior
complaints.

        I suspect that posting it to the IETF mailing list must be
considered sufficient, with the understanding that people who care
are subscribed to this list.  Better to expect people to subscribe
to this list to find out about stuff like BoFs and new mailing
lists than to declare open season on all mailing lists. If others,
who already subscribe to additional lists, want to repost these on
those other lists (as an FYI, because they feel they are relevant),
that would take care of widening of the potential audience.

--
Eric