Re: IETF 65 BOF Announcement: Digital Identity Exchange (DIX)

2006-02-13 08:07:03

My immediate concern is that we know better than to conduct this sort of BOF in this sort of manner.
What sort of manner is that, Dave?

I ask a serious question and I get a sarcastic reply.  That's a great
way to have a productive conversation.

1. You are right. My only excuse is that I felt/feel I had made two postings that largely already answered your question, and your query reflected none of that content. So the sarcasm was a reaction to having to repeat myself.

See:
  http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg40484.html
and, of course:
  <http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg40496.html>.

2. Other than having the opening tone be questionable, the note very much *did* provide content intended to be strictly productive.

The proponents of this BOF are following the community's documented
procedures [1].  What I'm hearing is that there is a underlying problem
with the adequacy of those procedures.

That's a worthy discussion, but my real concerns are the realities surrounding this type of BOF for this type of topic.

In simplistic (but productive and non-sarcastic) terms, I think things reduce to the hurdles that an AD can/should impose prior to approving a BOF. Some topics warrant higher hurdles. There is ample basis for viewing DIX as one of them, IMO.

I think the title of Thomas Narten's draft is particularly apt, because it focuses on productivity rather than formal process.

d/
--

Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking