Re: Complaints Against The IESG and The RFC-Editor About Publication of RFC-2188 (ESRO)

2006-03-19 16:44:17
I will however caution against the assumption that IESG is inherently
overbearing and a separate review function is inherently more
reasonable.  No matter who does the review there will always be the
potential for capriciousness on the part of the reviewer.

It seems to me that while many prefer IESG review some believe it may not
always be fair and balanced.

Again, this will be true no matter who does the review.

So if I can make a suggestion, it would be
good while defaulting to IESG review to also specify that submitter may
challenge their review results and/or request an independent review from
another source.

That sounds like an appeals process to me.  It's not at all clear to me
that we can afford the resources to give the privilege of appeal to
mere individuals.

Also it seems that not specifying how long review should take allows to
delay document indefinitely

That's a bit like saying that an SMTP server should not be able to
delay mail indefinitely no matter how much SPAM it gets.

There are a near-infinite number of simians with keyboards, while IETF
review resources are (and always will be) finite and precious.  So no
matter who does the review for individual submissions, I think that
it's perfectly reasonable for that reviewer to be able to say "Sorry,
we receive too many invididual submissions to review them all, and yours
doesn't pass the smell test.  You may wish to seek publication through
other channels".  This is no different than any other publisher.  IETF
is not a vanity press.

Keith