The original specs and notes on them.....

2006-03-20 06:08:52
Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
It is true that the IESG Notes in RFC 1945 and RFC 1630 are quite
embarassing for the IETF today but you are not Tim Berners-Lee. For
one genius who had trouble being recognized at the beginning, there
are thousands of monkeys-with-keyboards who are rightly ignored.

actually there's reason to look at the IESG notes on those specs....

RFC 1630, "Universal Resource Identifiers":

IESG Note:

  Note that the work contained in this memo does not describe an
  Internet standard.  An Internet standard for general Resource
  Identifiers is under development within the IETF.

A spec was developed. And that's what everyone's referring to as "the spec" when talking about URIs now.

RFC 1945, HTTP 1/0:

IESG Note:

  The IESG has concerns about this protocol, and expects this document
  to be replaced relatively soon by a standards track document.

The biggest concerns (that I remember) were:
- Over-consumption of IP addresses (fixed by the Host: header)
- Over-reliance on short TCP connections (fixed by HTTP 1.1 keepalive)
- Use of "TCP end of session" to delimit documents (fixed by use of length field + HTTP 1.1 chunked encoding)

At one point around that time, I believe that the second point was the cause of the statement "1/4 of the packets on the net are not under congestion control". Without the fix for the first, the modern hosting industry wouldn't have been possible.

I think the IESG can have some pride in those remarks, actually.....

                     Harald