closing the port registry considered harmful (was Re: Guidance needed on well known ports)

2006-03-20 06:13:32
Refusing new registrations is what I meant by closing the registry.

This would be a disaster. It would mean that application designers would just pick ports at random (some do this already) and there would be no mechanism for preventing conflicts.

Regarding SRV, it's not acceptable to expect that as a condition of deploying a new application, every user who wishes to run that application be able to write to a DNS zone. Most users do not have DNS zones that they can write to.

Furthermore it's increasingly necessary that applications be able to work in environments that do not use DNS - such as ad hoc networks or networks that become isolated.

We should also promote the use of srv for existing protocols for configuration. _pop3._tcp.example.com can only advertise the location of the pop server. Why not use it and save me debugging mail config for friends and familly?

Because it will degrade interoperability and cause inconsistent behavior between different mail clients.

Keith