Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-03-20 10:09:18
We have to work with what we have here, that unfortunately means original dns
plus the srv record.

I never cease to be amazed at people who insist on taking things that
basically work fairly well and replacing them with more complex
mechanisms that are known to work more slowly and less reliably.

Probably the worst problem with destination port numbers is that there
aren't enough of them.  That's probably something that needs to be
addressed in TCP and UDP, but a simple extension to each would do the
trick.

SRV provides fairly limited utility in exchange for the number of
problems it presents.

Keith