Re: Guidance needed on well known ports

2006-03-20 05:38:09
Re: Guidance needed on well known portsTwo points here.

First, I totally agree with Phillip that closing the registry is the right
direction to head. It would be lovely if this became a consideration in new
protocol work at the IETF. I'm not sure how quickly we can actually close it,
but having a chosen and stated direction that points somewhere else seems very
appropriate for new protocol work. Please note how long it is taking to kill
the classful addressing terminology. If you want to change directions on port
number interpretation, please start soon..

Second, as long as the current mechanism is "widely used" (and, with the rise
of HTTP-as-transport and port-agile protocols, it's less widely used every day
anyway), people try to use the current mechanism to understand and characterize
traffic on their networks (you may laugh, and it is getting funnier every day,
but they do exactly this with firewall rules, protocol analyzers - and the good
ones DON'T use port numbers much any more - and traffic monitors).

The definition of an application port is what the two ends of the application
think it is. If I think that port 25 is a good port, you do, too, and we never
use it for anything else, why is this wrong? It seems to me that saying, "if
you want to understand what the traffic on this network looks like, our
direction is that you'll need to check SRV records most of the time in the
future" seems to give people who do firewalls, traffic monitors, etc. the right
signal as well.

Thanks,

Spencer