Re: Complaints Against The IESG and The RFC-Editor About Publication of RFC-2188 (ESRO)

2006-03-19 16:03:52
You have totally confused ESRO with EMSD.

RFC-2188 is different from RFC-2524.

I stand corrected.

Tony gets it:

  Tony> The point is that the past IESG practice which has driven out those
who
  Tony> would submit individual submissions, resulting in the current ratios,
MUST
  Tony> NOT become the guide for what SHOULD happen going forward. The RFC
editor
  Tony> role needs to be extricated from the overbearing IESG and returned to
its
  Tony> independent role. Doing otherwise further fragments the community
which will
  Tony> only lead to its downfall.

I strongly disagree with Tony that the IESG has been overbearing.
From my perspective IESG has been too permissive.  But perhaps this is
beside the point.   I believe that we need to have high standards for
RFC publication - not just for working group documents or standards
track documents but for all documents that are labeled RFCs.  In order
for that to happen, _someone_ has to do a thorough technical review of
those documents, and that _someone_ has to be willing and empowered to
reject documents that don't cut it.  There are advantages to having
IESG do that review (e.g. uniformity, lower cost) and advantages to
having another party do that review (e.g. spreading the workload).  I
don't have a strong opinion about who does the review of
non-standards-track, non-working-group documents, as long as the review
is done and the document series is held to high standards.

I will however caution against the assumption that IESG is inherently
overbearing and a separate review function is inherently more
reasonable.  No matter who does the review there will always be the
potential for capriciousness on the part of the reviewer.  Similarly,
no matter who does the review there will always be those who will
insist that IETF lend its imprimatur to their flaky designs or poorly
written documents, and who will consume valuable resources trying to
degrade the RFC series.  IMHO, it is vitally important that we avoid
wasting either volunteer energy or money on such foolishness.

Keith