Re: [Techspec] RFC Author Count and IPR

2006-05-25 07:21:20
L2,
The IETF's policy here has a couple of problems I think - and that is that
it limits the number of parties that can claim control over a document and
in doing so limits the representation of legal ownership or rights to the
filing.

This is a very bad thing, since each of those authors has legal control over
their portions of the work or derivatives of their contribution within the
work itself. I.e. they are all legal signatories to any conveyance of
copyrights or derivative use rights including implementaiton rights.

It also seems to limit who can converse with the Secretariat or WG in regard
to the management of any particular Document's Initiative which may prevent
legitimate IP owners from interacting with the IETF's processes.

Perhaps we need to apply the same standards to these that are applied to US
Patents, and BTW did you know that a person licensing someone to use a
patent can revoke that license for cause 20 years later...  that is an
important statement since it means that anything can be pulled out from
under anyone these days. The use of the IP for reprinting is Copyright
controlled - but the implementation of actual code or a 'system from the
description' is more specific to patent protection and should be dealt with
as such since it is not 'republication' but commercial/private use of the
described IP that is being dealt with.

The point is that the IP Control and Transfer model is to complex and needs
to be made simpler if the Trust idea is to work at all IMHO. For instance,
you have a piece of IP that is patented and there are four listed
Inventor's - that has very specific rights attached to it and it generally
similar if not the same for Author's of copyrighted works. And for this
example say one of those Four Inventor's is dissatisfied with a buy-out or
other matter and decides to rescind the transfer of the IP... there are of
course legal issues and processes to be addressed, but it does happen.

The point is that in any IP licensing model its critical to get continuing
agreement as to the intent and willingness of the AUTHORS/INVENTORS to
continue participating and that means that there needs to be an ongoing
process for getting that formal release. Say a RFC for instance was derived
from a document that had four authors and one of them decided to leave the
Vetting Team that submitted the document (notice also I snuck a new
Governance term in - "Vetting Team")... Now when each revision to that I-D
that is done the same four people would have to agree to the ongoing license
to use, which the one who left can clearly say no to... What does this
cause? nothing inside the IETF since its use rights are protected by the
Research Exemptions but anyone else? could be messy.

Todd