Re: Comments on draft-iab-rfc-editor: IETF control

2006-05-25 17:32:22
"Leslie" == Leslie Daigle <leslie(_at_)thinkingcat(_dot_)com> writes:

    Leslie> Sam,

    Leslie> Some high-level responses, and I'm sure we'll hear other
    Leslie> input:

    Leslie> 1/ I think you're overlooking something in "IETF pays for
    Leslie> RFC Editor"; RFC Editor has been paid by ISOC for years,
    Leslie> and *that* largely comes out of contributions from
    Leslie> corporations.  We actually have no data beyond the fact
    Leslie> that they support the RFC Editor as currently constituted
    Leslie> (i.e., including independent submissions).

    Leslie> We've already heard (in IETF discussion in March) input
    Leslie> that no in fact the IETF does not get to define the
    Leslie> *in*dependent submission process; one purpose of the
    Leslie> planned discussion is to ensure that the process is not at
    Leslie> odds with the IETF's standards needs, but that is very
    Leslie> different than having the IETF define it, as you describe.

OK. I was not paying that much attention in March,and if I'm too late,
I certainly have no problem with the community choosing to allow a
broader group to control the independent submission track, or to seed
that to the IAB.

I think though that the community ultimately needs to have the power
to take back anything it has given.  Basically, I think it is critical
that ultimately everything within the greater IETF context be
accountable to the IETF community.  That is true of the IESG, the IAB
and everything they do.

I don't think this document represents that.

--Sam