Comments on draft-iab-rfc-editor: IETF control

2006-05-25 13:35:21

I finished reading the RFC editor document and have one major concern.

Ultimately, the rfc-editor function needs to be accountable to the
IETF community because we're the ones paying for it.

In particular I believe that the IETF should be able to pass a BCP
placing requirements on an rfc-editor stream.  We've done this with
RFC 3932 for example, and I think that was a good thing.

In effect, community consensus within the IETF should trump anything
else.

Now, we need to be careful about how to use that consensus.  Several
RFC streams serve communities broader than the IETF.  Unless we have
good reason to do so, we should not step on those communities by
overriding their requirements.

I also have specific concerns about how this document interacts with
the IAOC and IASA.

1) The document gives the IAB the authority to terminate the
    rfc-editor contract.  Depending on when we do that, there may be
    significant budget impacts and it may not be consistent with
    ISOC's carrying out its financial responsibilities to terminate
    the rfc-editor contract at an arbitrary point in time.

2) The document allows the IAB to create new streams of rfcs on its
   own authority.  It seems that we need ISOC and IAOC approval at
   least on the budget question to do so.

--Sam