RE: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

2006-05-25 23:17:05
If I characterize the 3GPP2 decision not to use PANA I would have to say
that it was purely based on Politics and not on technical merits.

The politics included misinformation such as telling operators "That
PANA was dead at the IETF" and that GEE will become a Standard Track RFC
soon.

Other information cited for not using PANA were:

1- EAP typically runs directly over a link layer. See the following text
from RFC 3748:
"EAP typically runs directly over data link layers such as
Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) or IEEE 802, without requiring IP."

2- HRPD Link Layer satisfies all lower layer requirements as specified
in section 3.1 of RFC 3748; for example, the requirements for lower
layer error detection, minimum MTU, ordering guarantees, etc.

3- PANA is not currently used in any commercial networks (wired or
wireless) such as DSL, PacketCable, WLAN, WiMAX, 3GPP UMTS, etc.

4- PANA is very complex with excessive protocol overhead that makes it
less attractive for use in mobile cellular environments.

5- It's unclear if PANA can reach RFC status within the 3GPP2 designated
time frame due to fundamental issues that are out of control of 3GPP2.
See the companion contribution X31-20060327-030 for a detailed
explanation of various PANA issues.

In particular issue 4, probably the only technical comment was shown by
your own company to be an exageration.  The analysis showed that over
the air the number of message exchanges were the same as those needed by
a link layer approach.  The only difference was the overhead of the
packet headers, which I would not characterize as excessive protocol
overhead given the context.

The other issues cited have been shown to been inaccurate or baseless in
fact.

But I would say that the political campaign against PANA was executed
flawlessly in 3GPP2.

I hope that the IETF makes its decisions based on technical merits
rather then on the success or failure of political campaigns.

Lets therefore not use PANAs failure in 3GPP2 as an example.