NEA scope (RE: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?)

2006-05-26 15:12:41

I, as a PANA WG chair, have many issues with this thread. It's objective,
execution, place in IETF process, roles and responsibilities, etc. I'm not
going to get into that now (yet). But I want to say I don't see how it's
going to achieve what Sam thinks he wants to achieve -- neither the need for
doing that as I explained earlier.

We'll try to weed out the technical and useful stuff out of this jungle. Let
me create separate threads for those and see if we can prevent further
confusion before people confuse each other, and identify what additional
work needs to be done on our documents.

With that in mind, here is the first thread.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Hartman [mailto:hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu]
Sent: Friday, May 26, 2006 8:05 AM
To: Alper Yegin
Cc: 'Bernard Aboba'; ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: The Emperor Has No Clothes: Is PANA actually useful?

"Alper" == Alper Yegin <alper(_dot_)yegin(_at_)yegin(_dot_)org> writes:

    >> > Yes, that individual I-D is productized as a proprietary
    >> protocol by one > company (Cisco).
    >>
    >> As I understand it, EAP over UDP is one of the items proposed
    >> for standardization in the NEA WG.

    Alper> You misunderstood it, despite the clear text in their
    Alper> charter:

    Alper>   Requirements need to be defined for an EAP over L3
    Alper> transport for L3 access scenarios.

I don't think he misunderstood.  IT may not be in their charter, but
they definitely did want to standardize EAP over UDP in at least some
versions of NEA.

This is not how the NEA charter read (see my above quotes). Where did you
get this idea from?

My question is more why do they need EAP in situations where they are
not running at the link layer than why do they want or not want PANA.

This is something that needs to be asked to the NEA community. PANA
community did not invent using PANA for NEA. When NEA people said they
needed IP over UDP, we said PANA does that.

Alper