Re: RFC Editor Function SOW Review

2006-07-17 09:46:42

Pete Resnick wrote:
On 7/10/06 at 8:34 AM -0400, IETF Administrative Director wrote:

we seek comments on the Statement of Work located at:
http://koi.uoregon.edu/~iaoc/

- The SOW has nothing about performance expectations (i.e., what is
noted in section 4 of draft-mankin-pub-req-10). Though I don't think the
SOW should have hard requirements in this regard
(draft-mankin-pub-req-10 doesn't), I do think we need to give some
estimate of how many documents they're going to see and their expected
throughput. A bid is going to have to be based on how fast they think
they need to do the editing.

Right.  Some sort of measure, along the lines of person-hours/document.  The
problem is that different documents take different amounts of effort, unless we
change the basic nature of how documents are currently handled.

And that leads to the basic question of professional editing.  As I've noted
before, my recent experience with the RFC Editor's editors was quite good.  They
definitely improved the writing in the document.

However, such an editorial effort it expensive and I do not understand why this
additional expense is needed.  It was not needed for 25 or so years.  And now we
are more sensitive to expenses.

So while I understand the desire to improve the writing quality and I definitely
believe the RFC Editor's editors do that, I think we need to ask whether we need
to have the RFC Editor budget expend those monies.

My own conclusion is that we do not.

d/