Re: RFC Editor Function SOW Review

2006-07-23 10:10:55
A web based submission model would be better - it could actually step the
submitter through the template sections and give them guidance on the text.
Hell readability tools are available from any of the online library tool
sources so this is not an issue either.

The millstone here is that the IETF refuses to get out of its own way and in
mandating paper-text only filings. This is the problem and not the solution
and the sooner the IETF gets past that and moves on to  the world of on-line
collaborative systems as the basis of its vetting pools, well gee...

Todd
----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel M. Halpern" <joel(_at_)stevecrocker(_dot_)com>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dhc2(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net>
Cc: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Sunday, July 23, 2006 9:58 AM
Subject: Re: RFC Editor Function SOW Review

Given the number of different working groups that have produced
diffiult to read documents for RFC publication,
the indications are that we are missing some necessary ingredient for
achieving this within the working group process.
I do not know if we lack the skills, incentives, or resources, but
history indicates that we frequently have produced documents that
still need significant editing.
While having a goal of improving this makes good sense, I think we
need to work from the WG end, not the editor end.  Until we are
producing better results, we can not cut down on the editing process.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern