Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

2006-07-18 18:02:29
Bill -
If RSYNC is not part of the Editor's Contract's SOW then it cannot be
considered and if someone was to lose that contract because they didn't
offer some service that was not on the SOW, the IETF and ISOC would be
looking at litigation IMHO.

But there is another issue - and that is the liability issues which the IETF
has tried to ignore but that rulings like Theofel v farey-Jones put in place
which sets the bar height.

In Theofel we find that anyone can sue for pulling a service out from under
them that costs them more than 5K in a given fiscal year. This is the type
of liability that operating an IETF site will carry with it as an official
mirror.

The same liability extends to those that are operating the IETF's mailing
lists as well as any number of other fiduciary liabilities which also need
to be
address.

Todd Glassey
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Fenner" <fenner(_at_)research(_dot_)att(_dot_)com>
To: "Bob Braden" <braden(_at_)ISI(_dot_)EDU>
Cc: <iad(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <iab(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
<ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>; <iaoc(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
<paul(_dot_)hoffman(_at_)vpnc(_dot_)org>; <iesg(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>;
<henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 5:51 PM
Subject: Re: RFC Editor RFP Review Request

A contractual requirement at this level of detail seems totally
crazy.

I'm afraid I agree.  I see this in our other kinds of process
specifications too -- we write rules for which you need to exercise
sensible judgment, and then fret about what happens when someone uses
bad judgment and try to write rules to prevent it.  While it would
be possible for a provider to win the RFC Editor contract, and fail
to provide rsync, that'd be an exercise in bad judgment since they'd
probably not get the contract when it was time to renew.

While it's possible to tie down most (I dare not say all)
loose ends in a protocol description, I can't imagine that you
can do it in a process document or contract, and think you'll
go crazy trying.

  Bill