Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-19 06:54:49

Let me relate my *EXPERIENCE* with some interim meetings (lemonade).  [I
suppose data is the closest we have to 'working code.']  Meeting held in
Dallas: 9 participants.  Meeting held in Vancouver: 10 participants.
Meeting held in London: 14 participants.  Meeting held in Beijing: 21
participants.

Worst Internet connectivity: London.

Best Internet connectivity: tied between Vancouver and Beijing.

Small nit-pick, on trying to generalize from your data:

1. Since we know that The London metropolitan area has excellent Internet
connectivity and bandwidth, the problems you experienced must have been due to
the particular meeting site and not the region.

2. For a region that is not obviously able to give excellent service, the key is
the commitment by local staff (and government) to make sure it is excellent.
They cannot do anything about the lack of fat pipes to the outside world, but
they can do quite a bit about fat pipes within the venue and their reliability.

3. Within the constraints of that basic connectivity to the outside world, most
major cities are now able to deliver excellent service... given the commitment
to do so.

d/