RE: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-25 06:57:59
It may have changed, but when Marconi sponsored an IETF, the budget was
about $250K for the network, terminal room, help desk, hospitality desk,
t-shirts and the difference between expense and receipts for the social
(hint: most socials cost more than the $25-30 that is charged).  No
equipment was bought (it was all borrowed from Marconi or other sponsors).
I think we went over the budget.  I am told most non U.S. meeting
sponsorship costs are significantly higher, but I have no direct knowledge.

You don't give the IETF any money, you just pay the costs detailed above.
The IETF doesn't really tell you that you have to do any of the above.
Everything really is optional, but most sponsors follow the established
pattern.

For U.S. locations, the sponsor is not involved directly with the venue, the
hotels, A-V or other direct meeting support beyond the network; the
secretariat handles it all.

You don't see many companies rushing to spend hundreds of thousands of
dollars to sponsor an IETF.   There really isn't any glory, and lots of
potential grief.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Iljitsch van Beijnum [mailto:iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com]
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 4:20 PM
To: Joel Jaeggli
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es
Subject: Re: Meetings in other regions

On 24-jul-2006, at 16:28, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

IETF should look for "global" sponsors, in a given time frame, for
example
for a year, or just a meeting if needed, but as said *decoupled*
from the
venue.

Local sponsors can take care of the social, breaks, etc.

As you know Jordi local sponsors have historically been invaluable in
getting access to local resources, like network connectivity and
handling the logistics of network setup.

having local support is always better than not having it.

I think Jordi brings up a good point, today "sponsors" are supposed
to cough up a lot of cash AND do a lot of work. Presumably, it would
be easier to find people with cash and people willing to volunteer
work separately rather than insist on a package deal.

Also, it's unclear how much sponsoring an IETF meeting is supposed to
cost in actual cash. The documentation doesn't talk about cash, only
about facilities. I'm pretty sure I can arrange for facilities such
as bandwidth, network operations/terminal room staffing and maybe
even a social event for free or nearly free by having different
organizations sponsor each, but if I could come up with the money to
pay market price for this stuff then I wouldn't be on this list but
I'd be paying someone else to be on it. So is the quarter million
figure that I saw floating by in my inbox supposed to cover the
published host duties, or is this in _addition_ to taking care of
these duties?