Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-24 09:02:59
Hi Joel,

I know that in most of the cases, the connectivity can also be arranged as
part of the "local" sponsorship package. That's why I've used "etc." :-)

Regards,
Jordi

De: Joel Jaeggli <joelja(_at_)uoregon(_dot_)edu>
Responder a: <ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Fecha: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 07:28:41 -0700
Para: <jordi(_dot_)palet(_at_)consulintel(_dot_)es>
CC: <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Asunto: Re: Meetings in other regions

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
That's part of the problem, sponsorship should be managed from a different
perspective, and totally decoupled from the venue itself.

IETF should look for "global" sponsors, in a given time frame, for example
for a year, or just a meeting if needed, but as said *decoupled* from the
venue.

Local sponsors can take care of the social, breaks, etc.

As you know Jordi local sponsors have historically been invaluable in
getting access to local resources, like network connectivity and
handling the logistics of network setup.

having local support is always better than not having it.

At this way the main costs (meeting rooms, AV, secretariat, etc.), are
covered in a fair and planned way, and not dependant on each meeting itself.

Some costs. E.G. connectivity are in fact highly dependant on the
meeting location. You whole budget takes a bath the first time you have
to sign a 12 month lease with the ptt/ilec on an e/ds-3 to get
connectivity into a venue. Do you then go back to that venue for the
next meeting because you're still paying $8000 a month for the circuit?

Also this provides the IAD the budget ahead so can book the most convenient
venues at least 18 months up-front, and allow a cost reduction for both IETF
itself, and attendees which can get better traveling deals and more time for
those that need to request an authorization to their management, etc.

Regards,
Jordi