RE: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-18 18:07:59
I would offer the following:

Rather than look at extremes (e.g., Fred's "What about Kabul?"), let's
look at other "second tier" options, like Bangkok, Prague, Cairo (well,
maybe off the radar for the next few months), or Mexico City, to pick
well-connected, well-airported, rather inexpensive, cities on every
continent.

Let me relate my *EXPERIENCE* with some interim meetings (lemonade).  [I
suppose data is the closest we have to 'working code.']  Meeting held in
Dallas: 9 participants.  Meeting held in Vancouver: 10 participants.
Meeting held in London: 14 participants.  Meeting held in Beijing: 21
participants.

Worst Internet connectivity: London.

Best Internet connectivity: tied between Vancouver and Beijing.

Best participation by people (well, person) who absolutely refuse to
travel: Vancouver.

Second best participation by people who have difficulty to travel:
London.

Most new document authors and reviewers netted from meeting: Beijing.

Our interim meetings always have strong remote participation, as some
people in our work group cannot travel at all.  We do a lot of Jabber,
iChat, and conference bridges with access numbers local or toll-free for
most of the participants.  The biggest problem with the Beijing meeting
was the 12-15 hour differential for U.S. remote participants.  The
biggest benefit was expanding the protein.