Re: Meetings in other regions

2006-07-24 13:20:33
On 24-jul-2006, at 16:28, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

IETF should look for "global" sponsors, in a given time frame, for example for a year, or just a meeting if needed, but as said *decoupled* from the
venue.

Local sponsors can take care of the social, breaks, etc.

As you know Jordi local sponsors have historically been invaluable in
getting access to local resources, like network connectivity and
handling the logistics of network setup.

having local support is always better than not having it.

I think Jordi brings up a good point, today "sponsors" are supposed to cough up a lot of cash AND do a lot of work. Presumably, it would be easier to find people with cash and people willing to volunteer work separately rather than insist on a package deal.

Also, it's unclear how much sponsoring an IETF meeting is supposed to cost in actual cash. The documentation doesn't talk about cash, only about facilities. I'm pretty sure I can arrange for facilities such as bandwidth, network operations/terminal room staffing and maybe even a social event for free or nearly free by having different organizations sponsor each, but if I could come up with the money to pay market price for this stuff then I wouldn't be on this list but I'd be paying someone else to be on it. So is the quarter million figure that I saw floating by in my inbox supposed to cover the published host duties, or is this in _addition_ to taking care of these duties?